[webkit-dev] [Proposal] Remove support for 'multipart/x-mixed-replace' main resources
cdumez at apple.com
Tue Apr 21 15:39:00 PDT 2015
I would like to suggest we remove support for 'multipart/x-mixed-replace’ main resources while keeping support for multipart images.
Based on Chrome usage data, this feature is extremely rarely used by Web sites (less than 0.00001% of page loads) . This feature adds complexity to the loader and is a source of (security) bugs (e.g.  recently), current support also seems buggy.
Current support in Safari / WebKit:
- Support is not great is WebKit. If you load a Motion JPEG main resource for example, it will keep creating a new ImageDocument and all its DOM tree for every frame (tested on Safari / Mac).
- It looks like support is broken on Safari on iOS (I tried a Motion JPEG main resource on iOS8, I see the first frame then a blank page that never finishes loading).
- Never supported by IE (including IE11) for any resource
- Chrome already dropped support for this (main resources only) almost 2 years ago .
- Firefox 37 still supports this based on local testing.
Again, I am only proposing dropping support for main resources. For e.g., having an <IMG> element in a page whose src attribute points to a Motion JPEG would still work as intended.
 https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=249132 <https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=249132>
 https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=143979 <https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=143979>
 http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/blink?view=revision&revision=152363 <http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/blink?view=revision&revision=152363>
Chris Dumez - Apple Inc. - Cupertino, CA
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the webkit-dev