[webkit-dev] Keep ResourceBuffer?

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Thu Oct 23 14:45:40 PDT 2014

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 9:56 AM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:
>
> I think Brady explained to me — a year ago? — what ResourceBuffer’s goal was.
>
> Brady, do you remember?

Two goals.

Use #1:

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 10:13 AM, Antti Koivisto <koivisto at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> Note that ResourceBuffer is virtual and wraps a ShareableResource on WebKit2 side. ShareableResource exists to do memory mapped IPC.

Use #2: There was also plans for a NetworkProcess based memory cache and ResourceBuffer was part of those plans.

As Antti also mentioned, the currently factoring is messy and can definitely be cleaned up, but it must maintain use case #1.

If we ever get around to implementing #2, we can add what we need at that time.

 Brady