[webkit-dev] Networking process scope

Antti Koivisto koivisto at iki.fi
Mon Nov 10 06:40:03 PST 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM, youenn fablet <youennf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I looked at the Networking process recently and am wondering what is
> in scope/out of scope of this process.
>
> Currently, the networking process is used to load resources from:
> - URLs resolved using platform specific libraries (CF, libsoup...),
> including data URLs
> - Blob URLs
> The networking process is not used for (at least):
> - appcache resources URLs
> - archive resources URLs
>
> Two options come to mind:
> 1. Use networking process for all URLs that require actual networking.
> That would mean moving data & blob URL handling within WebProcess,
> probably unifying this loading with appcache/archive resource loading.

A load should go to the network process if it needs to do actual
networking. Web processes should not need that capability at all (there are
a few things that still require this at the moment I think). Another reason
might be a case where multiple web processes need to see the same view of
some non-network resources.

Otherwise it makes sense to handle loads as close to the request source as
possible to minimize overhead and complexity. At least data: could be
handled in the web process just fine. I think blob: too.

   antti