[webkit-dev] Networking process scope

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Nov 10 04:18:02 PST 2014

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 10, 2014, at 4:28 AM, youenn fablet <youennf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I looked at the Networking process recently and am wondering what is
> in scope/out of scope of this process.
>
> Currently, the networking process is used to load resources from:
> - URLs resolved using platform specific libraries (CF, libsoup...),
> including data URLs
> - Blob URLs

These categories of loading apply consistently regardless of context. They interpret URLs globally. data: and blob: are specific URL schemes, and not especially different in this regard, though it is true they can be loaded without I/O.

> The networking process is not used for (at least):
> - appcache resources URLs
> - archive resources URLs

These categories are content-specific. App cache and web archives can redefine the meaning of a URL and substitute an alternate resource, but this only applies to a particular page load.

I am not sure if the line drawing intentionally reflects this distinction, but I think it is a reasonable line to draw.

It might make sense to change where the line is drawn. I am curious what people more involved in the networking code think.