[webkit-dev] WebKit Remote Web Inspector

Vienneau, Christopher cvienneau at ea.com
Fri Jun 20 18:07:44 PDT 2014

Hi Joseph,

I came across this bit of documentation shortly after sending my first mail:
https://www.webkit.org/blog/?p=1875&preview=true.  (Running WebSocket server in your port)

Which if it's still accurate, then it explains why I didn't find any listening code, since it says:
In order to use the default Web Inspector front-end for the remote debugging of your WebKit port, you need to implement a small web server supporting the WebSocket specification. We did not make this server code a part of the WebCore because it is up to the embedder to be listening for external connections and discover the inspectable pages.

However your response leads me to believe that it could be as easy as enabling a define?  Searching my code for INSPECTOR_SERVER I only find it in FeatureDefinesNix.h but no source code wrapped by it.  REMOTE_INSPECTOR does not show up at all.  Should I see source using these defines or do I misunderstand?  I'm guessing the port being used here doesn't have the things you mentioned in it; which is "Cairo".  I expect the server portion needed to implement isn't too difficult, and I suppose the other ports could be used as examples.

Chris