[webkit-dev] Comment on the bug & email author/reviewer before reverting a patch

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Jul 9 16:45:18 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014, Brady Eidson <beidson at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2014, at 4:15 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','rniwa at webkit.org');>> wrote:
>
>  Again, im not requesting anything new here. The consensus on webkit-dev
> has been to ping the author/reviewer on IRC or via email and comment in the
> original bug PRIOR to using webkitbot to start reverting the patch.
>

> I went through the first handful of emails on that thread.  The original
> request that wasn't meeting a lot of opposition before I stopped digging
> through the thread was:
> "Please contact the author/reviewer and give them a reasonable amount of
> time *before rolling out their patch*."
>
> I did not reach the message where the consensus was "contact the author
> and reviewer manually, *do not use webkitbot*"
>
> I believe that using webkitbot:
> 1 - Comments in a new bugzilla created specifically because there's an
> issue
> 2 - Comments in the original bugzilla notifying of an issue

It doesn't. The bot only files a new bug, make it a blocker of the original
bug, and then reopen the bug.

It doesn't copy over any comments made in the new bug for example.

Assuming my webkitbot command contains a description of the reason this
> patch is suspect, including a URL to the failure, can you further explain
> why using webkitbot is unreasonable?

I'm not saying that using webkitbot is unreasonable. I'm saying that the
person trying to revert a patch should first inform the author/reviewer
first BEFORE start reverting the patch.

Since webkitbot doesn't automatically post the details as to what failures
the patch caused, and one line description is almost never adequate (e.g.
needs a hyperlink to buildbot page, test failure diff or error log, et
c...), I don't see how using webkitbot in its current state could ever be
adequate.

Of course, I'm not saying that webkitbot could never be improved to do
these things.

 - R. Niwa

--
- R. Niwa