[webkit-dev] Comment on the bug & email author/reviewer before reverting a patch

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Wed Jul 9 16:29:00 PDT 2014

> On Jul 9, 2014, at 4:15 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>  Again, im not requesting anything new here. The consensus on webkit-dev has been to ping the author/reviewer on IRC or via email and comment in the original bug PRIOR to using webkitbot to start reverting the patch.

I went through the first handful of emails on that thread.  The original request that wasn’t meeting a lot of opposition before I stopped digging through the thread was:
“Please contact the author/reviewer and give them a reasonable amount of time before rolling out their patch.”

I did not reach the message where the consensus was “contact the author and reviewer manually, do not use webkitbot”

I believe that using webkitbot:
1 - Comments in a new bugzilla created specifically because there’s an issue
2 - Comments in the original bugzilla notifying of an issue
3 - Emails the author and reviewer by virtue of CC’ing them on the bugzilla(s)
4 - Does *not* roll out the patch.

Assuming my webkitbot command contains a description of the reason this patch is suspect, including a URL to the failure, can you further explain why using webkitbot is unreasonable?

Maybe that reasoning was reached in the thread you linked to and I didn’t find it yet.  I would appreciate it being restated here as the project has progressed quite a bit since Dec 2012.

Thanks,
~Brady