[webkit-dev] Should we explicitly disallow indentation to align lines or add an example?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Jan 21 19:34:54 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Zoltan Horvath <zoltan at webkit.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think the 4 spaces indentation doesn't make the code harder to read.
>
> If we stay with that, it will be more consistent in long term, since
> otherwise you'd allow almost random-size indentation, based on the
> particular code part.

Right.  The biggest rationale behind this rule, however, is that aligning
lines will increase the cost of future refactoring.

Consider what happens if someFunction was renamed to someOtherFunction.  If
we left the second and subsequent lines intact, we'll have unaligned
indentations.  If we did update the subsequent line to be aligned, then
we'll be making unnecessary whitespace changes in those lines and clutters
the subversion blame history.

- R. Niwa