[webkit-dev] How did Apple build libicucore.dylib?

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 20:46:40 PST 2014

On 1/10/14, Anders Carlsson <andersca at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Eric Wing <ewmailing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (I tried webkit-help but didn't get any responses, so I thought maybe
>> this list might be more appropriate for this question. Sorry for the
>> duplicate if otherwise.)
>>
>> I am attempting to build JavaScriptCore for my own embedded
>> application use. I noticed that Mac and iOS JavaScriptCore have a
>> dependency on a library called libicucore.
>>
>> When I build ICU myself from the , I get a handful of different icu
>> libraries, but nothing named "core”.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> the version of the source code shipped on OS X is available from
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/ICU/ICU-511.25/ so you can see how
> it’s done there.
>
> Hope this helps,
> - Anders

Thank you for the response. I missed the (lower-case) "makefile" in
the root the first time around. (I went directly to the icuSources and
was running grep from there.) I see that this makefile contains
icucore customizations.

So I'm currently trying to figure out how to actually build it. There
is an additional dependency on http://www.iana.org/time-zones for
stuff. At every build step, I seem to be fighting something not found,
so I think I'm missing some setup detail. First, it couldn't find the
the /usr/local/share/tz directory. I created it and put
tzdata-latest.tar.gz and tzcode-latest.tar.gz in there. Then it
complained it couldn't find latest_tzdata.tar.gz (notice the file name
is flipped around) and I figured out it actually has to be a symlink
to tzdata-latest.tar.gz. Then it couldn't find yearistype.sh, so I
manually copied it to the place it was looking. Now I'm currently at
../../bin/zic: Can't open africa: No such file or directory

So I think I'm missing some setup step. Perhaps something related to
$(SDKROOTMOD)?

Anyway, if anybody has some additional info on how to build it, I
would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Eric
--