[webkit-dev] Memory Manager

Phil Bouchard pbouchard8 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 04:28:28 PST 2014

On 12/22/2014 02:04 AM, Myles C. Maxfield wrote:
> “Manager” is a vague term. Do you mean a replacement for malloc() / free()?

- It handles cyclic pointers so it's really a memory manager.
- It's deterministic because you can predict when all memory blocks will
get deallocated
- All memory allocations are guaranteed to be free when the application
terminates

> Is there any documentation or explanation of your implementation?

Yes, in the aforementioned link:
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/block_ptr/libs/smart_ptr/doc/index.html

> Why are you confident that WebKit would see speed improvements using this library?

I am currently working for a company that uses Webkit and most of the
time the browser hangs because of the current garbage collector.

> What about your memory manager indicates that WebKit would be a good choice of user of it?

Why would Webkit be a good choice?  Because it can improve the overall
performance of the Javascript handler.

> Are there any other libraries that use it? Which version(s) of Boost is/will this be included in?

It is still pending for review:
http://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html

But it's already been unit tested so it is operative:
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/block_ptr/libs/smart_ptr/example/

The only thing left to be done is to use a faster pool than the current
Boost one.

Keep in mind that every time a Javascript page terminates, all memory
allocations are guaranteed to be freed instantly.  So if the memory is
somehow exhausted; you just have to reload the page.

Regards,
-Phil