[webkit-dev] WinCairo video

Philippe Normand philn at igalia.com
Thu Apr 24 23:57:41 PDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-24 at 11:21 -0600, Alex Christensen wrote:
> I know there are several companies who don't even want to mess with
> the licenses of GStreamer or FFmpeg.  GStreamer's license isn't a
> problem, but I'm not sure how legally safe the plugins are.

That's right. If you need support for those problematic codecs there are
some companies that can provide them.

>  They certainly don't have an indemnification clause in their
> licenses.  The dlls are still large compared to WebKit, and I've had
> trouble compiling them from source and debugging them on Windows.  The
> distributed versions from freedesktop.org also use a version of
> libsoup that is too old to use as the network backend for WebKit.  I'd
> also like to remove the requirement of installing GStreamer to build
> and run the unmodified WinCairo port to make it easier for people who
> don't know much about WebKit to build and run it.

Those issues can likely be fixed. A lot of effort was invested in easing
the build of GStreamer for windows and Mac OSX. There are still some
bugs to iron out though.

> I'm not saying that GStreamer is out of the question in the future,
> but I think there are more reasons to switch than to stay right now.

That's alright I understand your concerns.

Philippe