[webkit-dev] WinCairo video

Alex Christensen alex.christensen at flexsim.com
Thu Apr 24 10:21:06 PDT 2014

I know there are several companies who don't even want to mess with the
licenses of GStreamer or FFmpeg.  GStreamer's license isn't a problem, but
I'm not sure how legally safe the plugins are.  They certainly don't have
an indemnification clause in their licenses.  The dlls are still large
compared to WebKit, and I've had trouble compiling them from source and
debugging them on Windows.  The distributed versions from
freedesktop.orgalso use a version of libsoup that is too old to use as
the network backend
for WebKit.  I'd also like to remove the requirement of installing
GStreamer to build and run the unmodified WinCairo port to make it easier
for people who don't know much about WebKit to build and run it.

I'm not saying that GStreamer is out of the question in the future, but I
think there are more reasons to switch than to stay right now.

Alex Christensen

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:19 AM, Philippe Normand <philn at igalia.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 18:29 -0600, Alex Christensen wrote:
> > I'm working on a Media Foundation implementation of MediaPlayerPrivate
> > to replace the GStreamer-based one we're currently using.  Media
> > Foundation avoids the licensing issues of GStreamer
>
> Which licensing issues? You'd be surprised to know the actual number and
> variety of products that use GStreamer nowadays.
>
> >  and the ~100MB of GStreamer dlls which need to be installed in a
> > certain directory.  MediaFoundation is included since Windows Vista.
> >

> Those dlls can certainly be reduced. I'm no Windows expert but there are
> ways to reduce the size of the gst shared libs in Linux (disabling debug
> is one).
>

> > I'm pretty sure I'm the only one working on or using WinCairo video,
> > but I hope to make the switch later this week unless someone wants to
> > maintain GStreamer on Windows.
> >

> Philippe

Alex Christensen

FlexSim Software Products, Inc.

*1577 North Technology Way | Building A | Suite 2300 | Orem, Utah 84097*

*Voice: 801-224-6914 | Fax: 801-224-6984*

*Email:* alexc at flexsim.com <kimw at flexsim.com>

*URL:* www.flexsim.com

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended

only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.