[webkit-dev] Update: Cygwin Recommendations for Windows Builders

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 14:29:03 PDT 2014

On 4/4/14, Brent Fulgham <bfulgham at apple.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Yesterday I documented a few problems I was having with Cygwin, and asked if
> anyone else was encountering any issues. Since then, I've figured out what
> was going on, and I wanted to post a follow-up to document my findings. I'll
> also be updating our Wiki page on the topic
> (<http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingOnWindows>).
>
> 1. Curl version 7.34.0 has a known bug that prevents it from authenticating
> over SSL. This means that 'update-webkit' will fail when attempting to sync
> with our servers at apple.com.  Please be sure to use cURL 7.33.0 (and make
> sure libcurl is the matching version).  See
> <http://curl.haxx.se/mail/tracker-2014-01/0003.html> for details.
> 	Note: This has already been fixed by the cURL team, and we just need to
> wait for the Cygwin folks to update their builds.
>
> 2. Subversion 1.8 refuses to handshake with our servers at apple.com. I'm
> working with the right folks internally to fix this, at which point we can
> allow svn 1.8 clients. For now, we need to stick to Svn 1.7.
>
> 3. My initial concerns about Make 4.0 were unfounded. After trying the
> version I did not find there to be any issues.
>
> The only significant issue I currently have is with Python 2.7.3. I'll
> report back once I understand how to resolve this problem.
>
> I have confirmed that if you stick to the above versions of software, you
> can successfully configure and run a Windows build environment. If any of
> you have encountered other problems, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Brent

Hi Brent,
Just in case you didn't already see it, I posted a message entitled
"Problems building JavaScriptCore/WebKit for Windows desktop" about
two weeks ago which also mentioned these issues. You might want to
cross-check it if not to see if there are any others.

I don't know if this is something you are also looking at, but I'm
also noticing performance problems with my build of JavaScriptCore for
Windows. It is running about 10x slower than I think it should be
(compared to a Mac version).

Thanks,
Eric
--