[webkit-dev] Update: Cygwin Recommendations for Windows Builders

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at apple.com
Fri Apr 4 16:15:42 PDT 2014

Hi folks,

Yesterday I documented a few problems I was having with Cygwin, and asked if anyone else was encountering any issues. Since then, I’ve figured out what was going on, and I wanted to post a follow-up to document my findings. I’ll also be updating our Wiki page on the topic (<http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingOnWindows>).

1. Curl version 7.34.0 has a known bug that prevents it from authenticating over SSL. This means that ‘update-webkit’ will fail when attempting to sync with our servers at apple.com.  Please be sure to use cURL 7.33.0 (and make sure libcurl is the matching version).  See <http://curl.haxx.se/mail/tracker-2014-01/0003.html> for details.
	Note: This has already been fixed by the cURL team, and we just need to wait for the Cygwin folks to update their builds.

2. Subversion 1.8 refuses to handshake with our servers at apple.com. I’m working with the right folks internally to fix this, at which point we can allow svn 1.8 clients. For now, we need to stick to Svn 1.7.

3. My initial concerns about Make 4.0 were unfounded. After trying the version I did not find there to be any issues.

The only significant issue I currently have is with Python 2.7.3. I’ll report back once I understand how to resolve this problem.

I have confirmed that if you stick to the above versions of software, you can successfully configure and run a Windows build environment. If any of you have encountered other problems, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Brent