[webkit-dev] Announcing new port: Nix

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Thu Sep 12 10:54:02 PDT 2013

On Sep 12, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Hugo Lima <hugo.lima at openbossa.org> wrote:

> the Nix implementation will just delegate the implementation to the application

I think what this means is that Nix will export interfaces that closely match WebKit internals as the Nix API to WebKit.

This may well create a long term problem for the WebKit project. Changes that would be fine for other platforms, internal restructuring, could be a problem for the Nix platform. Generally speaking, this is what the platform layers in the WebKit directory provide; a port that omits this level of abstraction and indirection could pose some serious challenges to us as we make major changes to WebKit internals while preserving external API compatibility.

I’m not saying this is an immediate show-stopper, but it’s a critical topic to discuss.

-- Darin