[webkit-dev] Announcing new port: Nix

Hugo Lima hugo.lima at openbossa.org
Thu Sep 12 10:36:28 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> In my work on clipboard and pasteboard recently, I started with the Mac port. The Qt and GTK ports have been easy to work with. Contributors to those ports have helped me get the details right, and the code for those ports is relatively self explanatory. The Windows port has been pretty easy, too. The most difficult port for me has been EFL, since there is code peppered with “notImplemented()” and so not testable. See, for example, PasteboardEfl.cpp. This has made me uncertain about what to do for EFL and has made that port one of the most difficult to deal with.
>
> What is the NIX port approach for pasteboard?

Pasteboard still on the roadmap (so it still not implemented yet), as
pasteboard depends on the underlying platform the Nix implementation
will just delegate the implementation to the application, so the work
will be just to define an API to put on Source/Platform/nix/public and
use them, besides write some mock for WTR, API tests and backends on
some of our examples to prove and test the API usage.

The easiest way to imagine what it would be is to take
PasteboardQt.cpp, take away all uses of QClipboard and replace by some
Nix::Platform API calls, so an application using Nix can implement the
Pasteboard related stuff on Nix::Platform API and use QClipboard,
GtkClipboard, or whatever it wants in the implementation.

The "move all specific platform stuff implementation out of Nix shared
library" makes the creation of simple apps hard because you get almost
nothing out of box from Nix, but for this you already have other ports
like Qt, GTK or EFL, however the idea is to have these backends
implementation easy to just "copy and paste" from our examples to any
project if the technology used fits, otherwise the Nix user need to
write their own backend, but without worry about the whole WebKit
tree. The work on this isn't done yet, but we have a goal and are
walking towards it.