[webkit-dev] Proposed feature: Network Service Discovery

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Sep 8 11:32:12 PDT 2013

I also don't think it should be added to WebKit.

In addition to other reasons stated, the spec has obvious severe security risks which are not adequately addressed by a permissions dialog.

Section 7 of the spec allows a webpage to bypass the same-origin security model to communicate with "discovered" services via HTTP. Discovery is via ZeroConf, UPnP or DIAL. Consider that this will include things like printers, routers, intranet servers, and other devices where access to the http interface is potentially very dangerous.

The spec is supposedly designed for "media servers", but nothing limits it to that.

In addition to the obviously dangerous cases (reconfiguring your home router), most devices intended for use on a home network or firewalled intranet have many security vulnerabilities and could be exploited by throwing untrusted data at them.

Regards,
Maciej