[webkit-dev] Proposed feature: Network Service Discovery

Brendan Long self at brendanlong.com
Fri Sep 6 12:00:33 PDT 2013

On 09/06/2013 10:59 AM, Oliver Hunt wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2013, at 9:44 AM, youenn fablet <youennf at gmail.com
> <mailto:youennf at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     For starters, most of users wouldn't even know what a local
>>     network is; let alone what discovering media sources, etc... mean.
>>
>> Most users may not be able to understand what means "discover local
>> network DACP servers".
>> But if a user is requested to grant/deny access to "Bob music
>> library" service (the service being a DACP server), the situation
>> seems getting better.
>> The spec is a work in progress and may be improved.
>
> For the sake of argument let's say this "discovery" is allowed to
> occur.  How do you talk to "Bob music library" without the web page
> sending raw data to/from the DACP server?
The spec isn't very clear about how the permissions work, but I think we
could protect users from accidentally giving permission and
fingerprinting by making the permissions work like this:

  * When prompting the user for permission, get the list of discovered
    services and ask the user if they want to give the application
    access to any of them. An implementation could using checkboxes, for
    example, but with the default state being unchecked. If the user
    clicks "ok" without looking at it, the result is an empty list.
  * Remove PERMISSION_DENIED_ERR. If permission is denied, just return
    an empty object. This way, a JavaScript application can't tell the
    difference between an empty network and not having permission to see
    any of the services.

I'll look into proposing this change to the spec.