[webkit-dev] [WinCairo] : ENABLE_VIDEO => how to activate HTML5 video tag ?

Brendan Long self at brendanlong.com
Mon Oct 14 09:55:09 PDT 2013

On 10/14/2013 10:39 AM, Mital Vora wrote:
> I have few questions regarding move to Gstreamer.
>
> * are we gonna replace the existing openssl and curl with libsoup ?
The GStreamer media player
<https://github.com/WebKit/webkit/tree/master/Source/WebCore/platform/graphics/gstreamer>
already exists. You don't need to write it from scratch, you just need
to make your port use it.

> * are we considering any other possibilities besides gstreamer like
> ffmpeg (http://www.ffmpeg.org/) or any other.
Chrome uses FFMPEG, so if you look at the source when the Blink fork
happened, there might be a working FFMPEG media player. I'm not familiar
enough to say why it might be better, but Chrome and Firefox both use
FFMPEG, so it's clearly workable. The downside will be that no other
ports are currently using FFMPEG, so your media player might get less
attention.

> By moving to gstreamer would increase dependencies size a lot as the
> all GTK base libraries would be included by default and this would be
> concern to atleast few of us who does not want to increase the webkit
> base dependencies library by huge amount.
GStreamer depends on GLib, not GTK. I don't know how GLib will effect
the binary size though.