[webkit-dev] Qt WebKit removed from upstream

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri Oct 4 06:14:33 PDT 2013

Hello WebKit

As everybody who followed the discussion in the "Changes in QtWebKit
development" thread or recent commits to subversion knows, the Qt port was
removed from WebKit trunk on Wednesday this week,

From Digia we had a vague plan of trying to cut down drastically on the
maintenance burden of our port, but without any clear cut goals of what we
could use the port for, except it could very likely be useful to our existing
users and customers.

After the announcement of our plan, a lot of scepticism was raised on webkit-
dev about whether it made sense for WebKit. Since Digia had announced that we
would focus on the Chromium based Qt WebEngine, many seemed to feel that we
would not be able to contribute enough to the WebKit project to justify the
cost to everyone else of keeping the Qt port upstream.

Based on the feedback from the community we decided to remove the port,
instead of fighting repeated conflicts. We have had a great time working with
the WebKit project over the course of the past 7+ years. There have been many
conflicts but the end result has always been positive, and we would not want
to be a burden for the project.

With that in mind we say farewell to upstream. We will still be using WebKit,
and shipping with a brand new branch in Qt 5.2, and we will be active in the
project where it makes sense. Feel free to reach out to us using the usual
channels.

Thanks for having us

The Digia Qt WebKit Team.
Allan Sandfeld Jensen