[webkit-dev] WTF::fastMalloc

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Tue Oct 1 15:05:46 PDT 2013

>> (3) Find a fast thread-specific data API on the canonical GTK platform.
>
> Threading for GTK+ on non-Mac/non-Windows platforms is essentially
> pthreads.

To access thread-specific data using pthreads, you first need to take a lock and call pthread_key_create(). Since the whole point of thread-specific data is to avoid taking a lock, the API is useless.

You’ll need an alternative to the cross-platform pthread API for accessing thread-specific data. Otherwise, the cost of that API will dominate any other cost, and it won’t be worth our time to try to optimize other things.

Geoff