[webkit-dev] WTF::fastMalloc

Zoltan Horvath zoltan at webkit.org
Tue Oct 1 14:33:53 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Martin Robinson <mrobinson at webkit.org>wrote:

> > Here’s a rough task list:
> >
> > (1) Define a canonical GTK platform we’ll use for performance
> measurement.
>
> Perhaps the University of Szeged team has some insight into what
> platforms they used for comparing allocator performance.

I measured the performance and memory for Qt on desktop and on some ARM
based embedded devices (e.g. Nokia N9). The blogs are still available on
the blog site, but I'm not sure we can consider the numbers as valid after
that many years. Please note also, I've working for Adobe for more than a
year now, so I don't know whether the University team has any recent public
results.

The goal for enabling TCmalloc on Qt/Gtk was to match the implementation
with the Apple port, which used TCmalloc at time. Please note also, only a
subset of QtWebKit platforms uses TCmalloc (linux, mac), the rest of them
still uses the default system allocator.