[webkit-dev] Range based loops

Anders Carlsson andersca at apple.com
Sun Nov 10 08:42:40 PST 2013

On Nov 10, 2013, at 6:17 AM, Van Den Berghe, Vincent <Vincent.VanDenBerghe at bvdinfo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I sincerely hope that the move to whatever version of Visual Studio will not break compatibility with Visual Studio 2010.
> I'm usually the last person to cling to old versions, but the economic reality is that for many shops, including mine, upgrading to the "latest and greatest" Visual Studio makes little technological sense and even less economic sense. Just saying "but there's increased C++ compatibility and oh-look-at-these-new-features" doesn't convince the people holding the purse strings.  And they are holding them very tightly indeed. With good reason.

We’d like to move to Visual Studio 2013 because it has many new useful C++11 features that 2010 doesn’t have. It’s pretty obvious that by using these features we’re breaking compatibility with older versions.

(It should also be said that all the other compilers we use already support these features, and that VS is holding us back here).

> The faster release cadence (2-3 years post VS2010) between versions and the unwillingness of Microsoft to provide support beyond a single service pack (which they will chop up and rename to "updates") made upgrading a very hard sell for us developers.

As usual, the people contributing to the project get to decide this and everyone is very positive and excited about being able to make WebKit better by using these new features.

Regards,
- Anders