[webkit-dev] Use BlinkMergeCandidate to merge/back port Blink changes

Andreas Kling akling at apple.com
Thu May 23 09:49:43 PDT 2013

On May 23, 2013, at 6:26 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 23, 2013, at 8:42 AM, Sergio Villar Senin <svillar at igalia.com> wrote:
>
>> There is an interesting question about merging fixes from Blink. Should we keep the original author in the ChangeLog appending the name of the merger maybe?
>
> Generally speaking, the person committing to WebKit is responsible for the content of the patch. I prefer not to think of that person as the “merger”. Their name should still be on the patch.
>
> And yes, I think it’s handy to cite the name of the author of the Blink patch in the change log.

That’s along the lines of the approach I’ve been taking.

For patches that meet both of these criteria:

- Either trivial, or in my area of expertise.
- Merges cleanly without much/any modification

...I put on my reviewer hat and pretend it’s a WebKit patch, review it and land it.
Example: <http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/149734>

For patches I’m less comfortable with, or that just need more work to fit into WebKit, I put on my committer hat, wrap it into a new patch, and add it to the review queue.
Example: <http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/149110>

In both cases, I credit the Blink author and provide a URL to the Blink change-set.

-Andreas