[webkit-dev] Moving WebCore/accessibility code into WebCore/platform/

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue May 21 08:15:15 PDT 2013

On May 21, 2013, at 7:34 AM, Mario Sanchez Prada <mario.prada at samsung.com> wrote:

> Following the discussion in the contributors meeting about layering violations I was thinking about moving all the accessibility stuff inside WebCore/accessibility into a new WebCore/platform/accessibility directory.

This is a bad idea. The platform directory has never been intended as the single place for all platform-specific code. It’s the place for platform abstractions that let us cut down on platform-specific code elsewhere. It’s not a good idea to try to put all platform-specific code into the platform directory.

> * Besides the AccessibilityObject wrappers and partial platform-specific implementation files (e.g. AccessibilityObjectMac.mm) present in places like WebCore/accessibility/[atk|mac], there are other bits in WebCore/accessibility that are platform specific as well (e.g. AccessibilityRenderObject). These bits are guarded with "#if PLATFORM" macros, which would still be necessary to meet the different requirements of each port.

There’s no problem with this.

> Of course, we could always add an exception to the style checker

The style checker rule is wrong and should be removed. It’s better to use a platform abstraction, but a platform #ifdef is also OK.

> but I feel like relocating things would be a better approach in this case

As you can see above, I do not agree.

-- Darin