[webkit-dev] Compiling WebKit up to 25% faster in Windows?

Daniel Bratell bratell at opera.com
Tue Mar 26 16:35:32 PDT 2013

Den 2013-03-26 21:29:32 skrev Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org>:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote
>>
>> If we have consensus that we should just switch to paths relative to
>> Source (or maybe a couple different options), that would be (IMO) a big
>> win. It sounds like Daniel & co. have already done the big bang
>> conversion.
>>

> I think using full path would be a serious hit regarding hackability.
>
> I would rather spend some time tweaking my compiler to cache each
> directory
> content than waste time finding where is every single header I need to
> include.

I guess you mean that it will be more job moving files around, but that is
a rather rare operation, while reading an include directive and wondering
what it's part of is rather common (both for compilers, tools and humans).

I like the paths as a tool to indicate "module" dependencies. You can more
easily see that a file depends on foo and bar (but not on fie) if you see:

#include "foo/object.h"
#include "foo/thing.h"
#include "bar/stuff.h"

That will tell you useful things, and avoid making layering violations by
accident.

But I realize it's a question of style and as such there is not a right
and a wrong, unless there are other factors. And here we have the
seemingly heavy compilation time cost for it which I think is a strong
argument against delegating the task of finding the header files to the
compiler.

/Daniel