[webkit-dev] Overtype mode in WebKit for editable content?

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Mon Mar 11 21:07:38 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Shezan Baig <shezbaig.wk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel like I should give some background to this discussion.

Thanks for this context.  It's helpful.

So I guess the question boils down to something like: if we have
> changes that are generally useful, but not used in the major WebKit
> applications (i.e. Chrome, Safari, Opera), does it make sense to
> upstream it to WebKit for the benefit of the general community?

Disclaimer: I'm not the gatekeeper of the WebKit codebase.  Someone like
Maciej might be a better judge of this.

If none of the public WebKit ports intended to use the feature, I would say
it doesn't belong upstream.  Similarly, if some of the ports thought they
might want to implement UI for this someday, but weren't presently doing
so, I wouldn't upstream the core capability until at least one port
actually begins implementing such UI.

So perhaps the question is not so much "would overtype mode be potentially
interesting" as "are any public ports interested in exposing overtype mode
to their users in the near term, and would dedicate someone to work on it".
 If yes, then upstreaming low-level hooks for this seems reasonable.

PK