[webkit-dev] Exporting symbols (was Re: Common build system (was Re: WebKit Wishes))

Martin Robinson mrobinson at webkit.org
Thu Jan 31 17:55:04 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> Doesn't GTK+ port also require symbol exports for WebKit2? In particular, I
> thought all symbols used in Internals need to be exported there.

WebKitGTK+ does not need to export symbols from WebCore for WebKit2,
because WebCore is built as a static convenience library. We do need
to export symbols for the Internals library because it's built as a
separate object that links against libwebkitgtk. Adding an export
macro for Internals would be great for us, since we wouldn't have to
export so many symbols via Source/autotools/symbols.filter. It would
also decrease the maintenance burden for non-GTK+ port contributors.

--Martin