[webkit-dev] Please do not enable ENABLE_INPUT_TYPE_DATETIME

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Mon Jan 21 12:53:37 PST 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 9:55 PM, TAMURA, Kent <tkent at chromium.org> wrote:

> Please do not enable ENABLE_INPUT_TYPE_DATETIME to ship <input
> type=datetime>implementation in your products.
>
> We had some discussion in WHATWG [1] [2] and realized <input type=datetime>
> UIs in iOS Safari and Android Chrome are wrong and harmful. The current
> code for <input type=datetime> in WebCore can't make a reasonable UI and
> should not be shipped in products.

The two mail threads bounce back and forth between Hixie's opinion and
yours. Was there a conclusion reached anywhere on what to do with datetime
and datetime-local?

I don't think just asking people to disable ENABLE_INPUT_TYPE_DATETIME will
get us far (why risk breaking existing websites without a minimum of
data?). Can you share the plan going forward?

Benjamin