[webkit-dev] distributed build for WebKit on Mac OS 10.8

Zeno Albisser zeno at webkit.org
Mon Jan 21 10:39:55 PST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Alexis Menard <alexis at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Mihai Maerean <mmaerean at adobe.com> wrote:
> > How can the build of WebKit be distributed on all the Macs in the LAN to
> > fully utilize the computing power?
> >

> https://github.com/icecc/icecream

I've been experimenting with icecream and distcc.
Icecream is super powerful on Linux. Especially because it has a central
scheduler that distributes the jobs according to available resources.
But unfortunately I did not have any luck with it on Mac, due to the
packaging of the compiler.
Icecream actually ships the compiler in an archive to all the clients
participating in a compile job.

I was more successful using distcc from:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/distcc/
This one seemed to work fairly well. The only problem I had was that Qt is
not actually using xcodebuild.
Therefore I could not make use of any bonjour service to update my hosts
list and had to do that manually.
But if you know the machines in your network and can rely on them being
available, keeping a static list might be an option.

- Zeno