[webkit-dev] distributed build for WebKit on Mac OS 10.8

Alexis Menard alexis at webkit.org
Mon Jan 21 08:53:14 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Mihai Maerean <mmaerean at adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi

Hi,

> Building WebKit on a MacPro 5,1 (mid 2010 - 2.8GHz quad core Xeon with
> SSD, 20 gb of ram, gigabit LAN) with Mac OS 10.8 takes 30 minutes and it
> really slows down the daily work.
>
> Buying new Macs is just too expensive and the current ones have plenty of
> computing power if we use them to the full extent.
>
> Back in the 10.6 days, distcc did a great job at speeding up the builds.
>
> How can the build of WebKit be distributed on all the Macs in the LAN to
> fully utilize the computing power?

Good question.

You could try :

https://github.com/icecc/icecream

I know for fact that it works fine on linux but it claims to to work
on Mac OS too and according to git log it seems that clang support is
possible.

Let me know if it works for you, I haven't had time to try yet.

> Mihai

Software Engineer @
Intel Open Source Technology Center