[webkit-dev] Adding Web MIDI API support to WebCore

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Jan 19 04:29:16 PST 2013

On Saturday 19 January 2013, Benjamin Poulain wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Levi Weintraub <leviw at chromium.org> wrote:
> > I see that this is intended to go in as a "module". My understanding is
> > that concept was created to allow this sort of thing with minimal impact
> > to core functionality.
>
> I don't think that is the concern at hand, but rather how healthy is our
> Web platform.
>

> MIDI is uncommon, low level, and that W3C spec does not make useful
> abstractions.
> There are already few native apps that use MIDI. I am curious what is
> pushing for supporting MIDI on the Web.

I agree. The problem isn't even that MIDI is uncommon. The question is: Why
can't this be done with more generic Web APIs, if they are not good enough,
perhaps they should be improved instead of making a new very specific API.

It seems from my quick reading that all Web MIDI does is probe for MIDI
support and devices, and offer a way to send MIDI messages to them with a
high-res timestamp. Surely this could be done using a more generic API.

`Allan