[webkit-dev] Is the wxWidgets port maintained?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Mon Feb 11 14:32:38 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Brent Fulgham <bfulgham at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>>  Asking people to ignore wx is basically the same as having the code
>>> outside the tree. Having the code outside the tree would make this change
>>> effective instead of having one more rule to the project.
>>>

>>> My big concern is not losing history while moving the wx files out of
>>> the tree and into a git branch, and also at the same time not losing the
>>> ability to merge the rest of trunk safely. Though I haven't investigated
>>> the process yet, so I don't know how easy or hard it may be.
>>>

>> I kindly ask you to let us remove it from trunk in that case.
>>
>> Given that we have 400+ contributors, having a port that's only
>> maintained by a single person on trunk imposes a significant maintenance
>> burden on others even if you said that people can break Wx port because not
>> everyone reads this thread and wouldn't necessarily know your intent.
>>

> I would be sad if the WebKit project started to exclude ports simply
> because they were (largely) maintained by a single person. I do agree that
> it's not fair to other ports if the primary developer is not working to
> keep the port building, but life happens and sometimes a lone developer
> cannot stay on top of the rapidly-changing source base.
>
> Having these ports in the main tree is a good thing, in my opinion,
> because it helps avoid fragmentation, and often the refactoring required to
> enable these ports provides architectural benefits to the project as a
> whole.

I'm not opposed to keeping those refactoring in trunk.

As I said on
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2013-January/023563.html, the
problem is the ratio of contribution each port makes to the core code vs.
the cost it imposes on the project.

Having hundreds, if not thousands, of engineers sync Wx code in WebKit
trunk whenever they run "svn up" or "git fetch" is a significant cost on
its own, and we need a good justification for it.

- R. Niwa