[webkit-dev] Is the wxWidgets port maintained?

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 14:13:01 PST 2013

Hi Everyone,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> Asking people to ignore wx is basically the same as having the code
>> outside the tree. Having the code outside the tree would make this change
>> effective instead of having one more rule to the project.
>>

>> My big concern is not losing history while moving the wx files out of the
>> tree and into a git branch, and also at the same time not losing the
>> ability to merge the rest of trunk safely. Though I haven't investigated
>> the process yet, so I don't know how easy or hard it may be.
>>

> I kindly ask you to let us remove it from trunk in that case.
>
> Given that we have 400+ contributors, having a port that's only maintained
> by a single person on trunk imposes a significant maintenance burden on
> others even if you said that people can break Wx port because not everyone
> reads this thread and wouldn't necessarily know your intent.

I would be sad if the WebKit project started to exclude ports simply
because they were (largely) maintained by a single person. I do agree that
it's not fair to other ports if the primary developer is not working to
keep the port building, but life happens and sometimes a lone developer
cannot stay on top of the rapidly-changing source base.

Having these ports in the main tree is a good thing, in my opinion, because
it helps avoid fragmentation, and often the refactoring required to enable
these ports provides architectural benefits to the project as a whole.

-Brent