[webkit-dev] Is the wxWidgets port maintained?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Mon Feb 11 13:51:00 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Kevin Ollivier <kevino at theolliviers.com>wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2013, at 12:27 PM, Benjamin Poulain wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Kevin Ollivier <kevino at theolliviers.com>wrote:
>
>> I actually have recently been working on a patch to get trunk building
>> again, though. The path of least resistance for me would simply be to ask
>> people to ignore the wx port in their changes, but leave it in the tree.
>> git is much better about these things, but I still remember what a pain it
>> was to maintain the entire port in an svn branch back in the day, and I'd
>> rather not re-try that experiment unless I really have to. If people feel
>> strongly that I should approach things another way, though, I'm certainly
>> open to ideas.
>>

> Asking people to ignore wx is basically the same as having the code
> outside the tree. Having the code outside the tree would make this change
> effective instead of having one more rule to the project.
>
> Looking at the history of wx's WebKit and platform code, the vast majority
> of changes are from Apple/Google. I think it is unfair to have many people
> maintain your code while you develop the project outside of the tree.
>
> Given the data, I am in favor of removing the wx port from webkit.org and
> have it be a separate tree on Gitorious or GitHub.
> What are the main pain points of developing outside webkit.org for you?
> Is there anything that can be done in the structure to simplify such
> changes?
>

> My big concern is not losing history while moving the wx files out of the
> tree and into a git branch, and also at the same time not losing the
> ability to merge the rest of trunk safely. Though I haven't investigated
> the process yet, so I don't know how easy or hard it may be.

I kindly ask you to let us remove it from trunk in that case.

Given that we have 400+ contributors, having a port that's only maintained
by a single person on trunk imposes a significant maintenance burden on
others even if you said that people can break Wx port because not everyone
reads this thread and wouldn't necessarily know your intent.

- R. Niwa