[webkit-dev] Is the wxWidgets port maintained?

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Mon Feb 11 12:27:32 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Kevin Ollivier <kevino at theolliviers.com>wrote:

> I actually have recently been working on a patch to get trunk building
> again, though. The path of least resistance for me would simply be to ask
> people to ignore the wx port in their changes, but leave it in the tree.
> git is much better about these things, but I still remember what a pain it
> was to maintain the entire port in an svn branch back in the day, and I'd
> rather not re-try that experiment unless I really have to. If people feel
> strongly that I should approach things another way, though, I'm certainly
> open to ideas.

Asking people to ignore wx is basically the same as having the code outside
the tree. Having the code outside the tree would make this change effective
instead of having one more rule to the project.

Looking at the history of wx's WebKit and platform code, the vast majority
of changes are from Apple/Google. I think it is unfair to have many people
maintain your code while you develop the project outside of the tree.

Given the data, I am in favor of removing the wx port from webkit.org and
have it be a separate tree on Gitorious or GitHub.
What are the main pain points of developing outside webkit.org for you? Is
there anything that can be done in the structure to simplify such changes?

Benjamin