[webkit-dev] Is the wxWidgets port maintained?

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Mon Feb 11 11:27:10 PST 2013

Hi Benjamin,

On Feb 10, 2013, at 7:23 PM, Benjamin Poulain wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> While looking into DRT changes, I notice there is zero activity on the wxWidgets implementation.
> Looking at WebCore/WebKit, excluding general changes, the last commit for wxWidgets is 6 months old: http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/126457
>
> So...is the port still active?
> Maybe it should live outside webkit.org like the Haiku port?

The project is not dead per-se, but it's true that it's not very active these days. Recently, I haven't had a lot of time to devote to the port. The other big factor has been that I've been the only active contributor to the port pretty much since its inception, which has made patch submission pretty difficult due to the challenge of finding a reviewer with knowledge of the wx code. As a result, the wx activity on trunk will look pretty sparse since I'm making most of my changes on the wx port's git repo on gitorious.org rather than submitting patches for trunk. When it comes to trunk, I basically just periodically submit build fixes for any build breakages in order to merge and update my git mirror.

I actually have recently been working on a patch to get trunk building again, though. The path of least resistance for me would simply be to ask people to ignore the wx port in their changes, but leave it in the tree. git is much better about these things, but I still remember what a pain it was to maintain the entire port in an svn branch back in the day, and I'd rather not re-try that experiment unless I really have to. If people feel strongly that I should approach things another way, though, I'm certainly open to ideas.

Thanks,

Kevin