[webkit-dev] ChangeLog format

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Aug 21 23:01:21 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Carlos Garcia Campos <
> carlosgc at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> El mié, 21-08-2013 a las 14:04 -0700, Ryosuke Niwa escribió:
>> > Hi,
>>
>> [...]
>> >
>> > Separately, I'd like to know whether people liked the new format and
>> > it's worth my time making webkitpy adopt the new format.
>>
>> I prefer the old format.
>>

>> > I personally didn't like the old format because it made the first line
>> > of each change log too long.  I'm also not a big fun of wrapping URLs
>> > in angle brackets.  It's also unclear to me what should happen when
>> > there are multiple Bugzilla URLs to list.
>> >

>> > But I hear the new format made git log --oneline much more readable so
>> > I can be convinced although I don't intend to use git for WebKit
>> > development in the foreseeable future myself.
>>
>> Well, git log is not actually affected by the ChangeLog format, but by
>> the commit message. I mean, we generate the commit message from the
>> ChangeLog, so we can keep the old format in the ChangeLog and update the
>> script to generate the commit message to make it better for oneline git
>> log format. webkitpy parses the ChangeLog not the commit message, so
>> everything should work.
>>

> If I'm not mistaken, I think a bunch of tools DO analyze git logs to do
> the work; commit-queue, webkitbot, etc...

e.g. MarkBugFixed._determine_bug_id_and_svn_revision
uses tool.scm().svn_commit_log to figure out the bug number.  In fact, the
code assumes that the commit log uses the same format as the change log and
uses changelog.py's parse_bug_id_from_changelog

In fact, making change log & commit log use a different format is much more
challenging than changing the format of change log & commit log.  It
requires A LOT of refactoring and bug fixes in webkitpy.  I don't even know
much work is required for webkitperl and other tools.

- R. Niwa