[webkit-dev] ChangeLog format

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Aug 21 14:04:07 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have noticed that the change log format has recently been changed.
 Unfortunately, this didn't work well with all webkitpy tools we have, and
has been rolled out in http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/154406.

*I kindly ask you to manually edit your patch to use the old format before
landing your patch for now.*

Otherwise webkit-patch and other tools will get confused and all kinds of
problem ensues.

Separately, I'd like to know whether people liked the new format and it's
worth my time making webkitpy adopt the new format.

I personally didn't like the old format because it made the first line of
each change log too long.  I'm also not a big fun of wrapping URLs in angle
brackets.  It's also unclear to me what should happen when there are
multiple Bugzilla URLs to list.

But I hear the new format made git log --oneline much more readable so I
can be convinced although I don't intend to use git for WebKit development
in the foreseeable future myself.

- R. Niwa