[webkit-dev] Rewriting binding code generator, maybe?

Timothy Hatcher timothy at apple.com
Wed Apr 10 16:59:26 PDT 2013

On Apr 10, 2013, at 6:32 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> Can we rewrite CodeGenerator*.pm in Ruby or Python?  I feel that the current code is very hard to understand and hack on.  In particular we have CodeGenerator.pm and CodeGeneratorJS.pm (CodeGeneratorV8.pm has been removed), and we need to merge them anyway.

They can't be merged. We also have CodeGeneratorObjC.pm. (And internally we have CodeGeneratorSafari.pm.)

> I've seen many people expressing their inability to improve the binding code because of its being written in Perl.

I've also seen people express their frustration for our tools currently written in Ruby and Python. I personally find Perl fine for this task and don't see a need to rewrite things just because.

— Timothy Hatcher