[webkit-dev] Buildsystem cleanup

Roger Fong roger_fong at apple.com
Wed Apr 10 15:30:44 PDT 2013

Hi Patrick,
A few questions I have about the CMake system, being someone who's never used it before.

-I would like to keep all of the unified properties settings that the VS2010 property sheets hierarchy provided.
Can we still maintain that through CMake easily?

-How does CMake handle different build targets. Would I have to open up different project files per configuration?

-If I'm understanding things correctly the main differences with using CMake would be:

1. If a project configuration is changed run CMake / I guess whenever you update the source as well (just to be safe).
	We would want to change any build scripts to use CMake: perhaps build-webkit is the really the only one we have to worry about in the OpenSource tree.

2. If you're working on Windows, open up the solution with Visual Studio and do work as usual, unless you want to add files in which case you go through the CMake scripts again before moving on.
	Would all the project filters and solution dependencies would still be in tact? Or is the solution file something that we would maintain that would hook into the generated projects?.

-I'm assuming there's a CMake flag for specifying which version of visual studio to generate project files for?
Our opensource bots run VS2005 and our internal run VS2010 currently, and seeing as we're not ready to use only VS2010 yet we would need to be able to specify which.

If my above concerns can be resolved and the example you posted works fine for us (I'll try to take a look at it soon), it's probably okay to start checking in stuff to get ready for the move to CMake. I don't think we really have the resources to get things hooked up on our end in the immediate future, but perhaps in the coming months.
Also if we do end up switching over I would highly push for all other ports besides Mac to adopt CMake and require any new ports to use it as well.

Thanks,
Roger