[webkit-dev] Is there a plan for supporting multi-process and WebCL in webkit

Jer Noble jer.noble at apple.com
Tue Apr 9 13:23:07 PDT 2013

On Apr 9, 2013, at 10:47 AM, Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org> wrote:

> I am very curious about the source of interest in OpenCL on browser. While OpenCL is a great technology, I have the feeling it is not ready for the web.
> What kind of applications do you foresee being powered by OpenCL on the Web?
>
> I can imagine some use of CPU based kernels for the web (for image manipulation for example). But I have a hard time seeing how adding full support of OpenCL would not be shooting ourself in the foot at this point. That may change in the future when GPU hardware converges…

There has also been interest in the WebAudio WG about using OpenCL/WebCL for custom audio processing.  There are significant performance issues involved with doing custom audio processing in JavaScript, even in a Worker thread, but WebCL may offer performance and memory characteristics which would couple well with the requirements of realtime audio threads.

-Jer