[webkit-dev] Is there a plan for supporting multi-process and WebCL in webkit

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Tue Apr 9 10:47:00 PDT 2013

Hi Oneal,

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:40 AM, Oneal Bluce <onealbluce at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm a researcher and I just focusing on the multi-process
> supporting and WebCL supporting in browser engin. so I have some concerns
> about the both features.
> In recently, Google has pronounced that they will support the
> multi-process in their browser egin(Blink) which is forked from the webkit.
> but Google will not supporting the WebCL in Blink.  so I just want to know
> is there a plan supporting the multi-process and WebCL in webkit.

I am very curious about the source of interest in OpenCL on browser. While
OpenCL is a great technology, I have the feeling it is not ready for the
web.
What kind of applications do you foresee being powered by OpenCL on the Web?

I can imagine some use of CPU based kernels for the web (for image
manipulation for example). But I have a hard time seeing how adding full
support of OpenCL would not be shooting ourself in the foot at this point.
That may change in the future when GPU hardware converges...

Cheers,
Benjamin