[webkit-dev] Feature removal: CSS variables

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon Apr 8 01:56:08 PDT 2013

I think this discussion can be simplified a bit. I too is very sceptic about
just removing features and would prefer we didn't remove features based on
whether they could be a burden, but based on whether they actually are a
burden or in the way of something specific we would like to do.

The problem with css variables though is that it is not currently being
actively developed by anyone in webkit, and that no webkit port or bot have it
enabled. This means that it is very likely to bitrot. Unless someone either
starts working actively on it or a port decides to enable it on a bot, it is
just guaranteed to stop working soon.

I am guessing as a minimum an interested third party could offer to setup a
bot running Qt (the easiest port to run on standard hardware) with CSS
variables enabled.

Without testing, CSS variables are better removed and reintroduced later when
either the implementation in blink gets better and we can adopt a cleaner
solution, the standard improves or Mozilla implements it. Whichever happens
first.

Best regards
`Allan