[webkit-dev] Sunsetting committership and reviewership

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Sun Apr 7 18:27:14 PDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze at adobe.com> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Timothy Hatcher <timothy at apple.com>
> wrote:
> > I think 6 months is fine for deactivating SVN accounts. And a full
> revoke of reviewer status after 2 years of no activity sounds reasonable to
> me. We could make it easier to get reviewer status again after a 2 year
> sunset if the person becomes active again and shows good judgment still.
> >
> > +1 to this.
> >
> > I think 2 years to revoke reviewer rights is too long. All the drive-by
> reviews that have caused problems were from reviewers that were inactive
> for less than 2 years. Nevertheless, 2 years is better than the current
> situation so it is a good start.
>
> The question is still how you measure active reviewers/contributors? Is it
> enough to comment on bugs? Real reviews? Must there be at least one r+ in
> this time? Is an actual commit required?
>
> What do we gain from reverting reviewer ship/ committer ship?

There is a problem of people not contributing for a while, not familiar
with the current code base, who come and review things for their colleagues.
There are bad ideas accepted by reviewers who are not very active on the
project.

I don't really see the big deal with revoking reviewer rights. If you come
back to the project, make a few good patches and show a good understanding
of the code base, you just get the rights back.
The owner system with WebKit2 is avoiding this problem in an elegant way.
It is effectively enforcing two reviews for most patches (one reviewer +
one review from a owner). As a result, the quality of patches in WebKit2
has increased appreciably.

What are your concerns exactly?

Benjamin

PS: Maybe we should have this thread on the reviewer mailing list?