[webkit-dev] Sunsetting committership and reviewership

Marshall Greenblatt magreenblatt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 23:55:49 PDT 2013

On Apr 5, 2013, at 2:19 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is somewhat related to the bulk move of Chromium-WebKit contributors to Blink, but we might want to consider sunsetting/expiring committership and reviewership.
>
> I'm thinking of something like expiring committership/reviwership of a person after the person didn't have any SVN activities for 3 or 6 months.
>
> Any thoughts or opinions?

My third-party perspective:

This might make sense for reviewer status which is more about project leadership/direction but perhaps not for committer status which is more about proven good judgement and experience. I don't think the WebKit code base evolves so unexpectedly that 6 months invalidates the qualifications for committer status. Also consider:

1. Removing committers is actually more work than not removing them -- you now need to track start dates and run jobs to identify expired people. You also potentially need warnings, a review process in case of mistakes, etc.

2. People employed for WebKit development might be absent 6 months for totally valid reasons like maternity/paternity leave.

Regards,
Marshall