[webkit-dev] Ever increasing binary size

Timothy Hatcher timothy at apple.com
Mon Apr 1 07:33:58 PDT 2013

On Mar 22, 2013, at 3:12 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> WebKit nightly build for r135421 dated November 21st, 2012 was 46.1MB.
> WebKit nightly build for r145786 dated March 13th, 2013 was 49.4MB.
>
> Our binary size increased by 7.2% in just 4 months.

Keep in mind that the Safari's Web Inspector is in the nightly. Also all of the frameworks and their resources are in the nightly twice (for 10.7 and 10.8).

Safari's Web Inspector framework is around 2.5 MB (uncompressed) in r135421 and 4.2 MB in r145786. A 68% increase (that I will investigate further). Most of that size comes from image resources that can't be compressed further by the disk image. They are also duplicated for each OS, but the disk image compression should cancel that out.

Also the WebKit Web Inspector is in the nightly. It is 5.1 MB (uncompressed) in r135421 and 6.3 MB in r145786. A 24% increase. Again, mostly images.

So I don't think the majority of the download size increase correlates to in-memory size of the binaries. (See the link Eric sent later for that.)

— Timothy Hatcher