[webkit-dev] Settings and Preferences in layout tests

Jeffrey Pfau jpfau at apple.com
Wed Sep 26 13:58:34 PDT 2012

On Sep 26, 2012, at 1:44 PM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser at apple.com> wrote:

> * we should choose between internals.settings or testRunner.overridePreference if that makes sense.

I've recently been working on a new API and I've discovered that internals.settings and testRunner.overridePreference go through different layers—internals.settings goes right to WebCore, whereas testRunner.overridePreference goes through WebKit1 first. As my API only went through WebKit2 at first, I was unable to use testRunner.overridePreference. Moreover, I needed to use testRunner.overridePreference separately from internals.settings to test that the WebKit1 API that I'd added worked.

Although I'm not fond of having multiple ways into the settings, I feel like the two methods have separate use cases.

Jeffrey