[webkit-dev] Passing null or undefined object as input url for XMLHttpRequest open()

Pozdnyakov, Mikhail mikhail.pozdnyakov at intel.com
Tue Sep 4 07:43:58 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Currently for the following JS code:

req = new XMLHttpRequest();
req.open("GET", null);

the implementation of XMLHttpRequest  will try to open URL:
"<base URL>/null". The similar behaviour is with an undefined object given
as input url (will try to open "<base URL>/undefined").

It does not seem to be correct behaviour and I would raise SYNTAX_ERR exception
in such cases, but I would like to hear other opinions on that before creating bug and uploading patch.

Thanks,
Mikhail
Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki