[webkit-dev] testing strategy? - CJK line breaking tests

Glenn Adams glenn at skynav.com
Tue Sep 4 05:50:44 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> Can we use ref tests?

I'll try this first.

> Alternatively, you can compute the with of each character with script
> (without adding any new feature to WebKit).

Unfortunately, that won't work since I can't access the width of individual
lines produced by formatting a block. For example, <p
style="width:2em">XYZ</p:>, where XYZ are certain CJK line break sensitive
chars, may format to

line-break: loose

line1: XY
lline2: Z

line-break: strict

line1: X
line2: YZ

The getComputedValue('width'|'height'| of the two results doesn't vary
since one can't access the resulting lines.

> If neither is possible, then you should use (1) unless the test tests a
> platform specific feature; I.e. the feature isnt available on other
> platforms.

The feature is not platform specific (other than the fact different
platforms may use different versions of ICU and support different fonts).
If reftest doesn't work, I'll try (1).

> (3) seems like a terrible idea as it means that we'll be either exposing
> the WebKit internals to the Web without standardizing those properties or
> we'll be adding yet-another DRT-specific behavior

Certainly it is not be the intent to expose such props to web content in
general. But I could fathom exposing this to WK test content (without
necessarily being dependent on DRT framework).